The Chain Bridge (“Lanchid”)

Lanchid Pillars

The Széchenyi Chain Bridge, or ‘Lanchid’, as it is known in Hungarian, was the first permanent bridge across the Danube river in Budapest. It links the west side of Buda with the east side of Pest.  In 1848,  after the Hungarian Revolution, construction of the bridge began. The bridge was officially opened in 1849.  At the time of its construction, it was regarded as one of the modern world’s engineering wonders. Continue reading “The Chain Bridge (“Lanchid”)”

Resource Links   |   Privacy Policy